One of the most common questions when it comes to carpet cleaning is, “how often should carpets be cleaned?”. While it may seem like a hassle, getting the hang of regular, routine professional carpet cleaning can lead to a much easier, longer lasting carpeting experience. In today’s blog, the experts at Steamaway Carpet Cleaning of Albuquerque and Rio Rancho discuss the answer to this FAQ.
How Often Should Carpets Be Cleaned?
An average residential carpet should be professionally cleaned at least every 12-18 months to remove dirt and allergens. However, there is no one-size-fits-all answer for how often to clean carpets as the length varies due to a variety of household factors.
Factors Affecting How Often Carpets Should Be Cleaned
A few factors affecting the frequency of carpet cleaning include:
- Children: Kids are dirty- it’s a fact! No matter the age, children are likely to track dirt and germs with them everywhere they go. Not to mention the propensity for spills. A professional carpet cleaning is suggested every 6 to 12 months.
- Pets: Fur babies are cute, but they come with quite the grime. From accidents to muddy paws to dander, it’s suggested to clean your carpets every 3 to 6 months with pets.
- Smokers: Since nicotine and tar can get caught in carpet fibers, carpet cleaning for a smoker’s home is recommended every 3 to 6 months.
- Allergy-prone: Depending on the severity of the allergies, frequent deep carpet cleaning is necessary to keep allergens at bay. Consider professional carpet cleaning every 3 months if you have bad allergies.
How to Maintain Your Carpet
- Vacuum your carpet every day.
- To help prevent bringing the dirt inside your home, buy a rug for outside the door or take off your shoes at the entrance of your house.
- Clean your carpet as recommended by your professional carpet cleaner.
- Never use Bleach, Resolve, Windex or any other products that are not color safe for your carpet.
- Did you know rental carpet cleaning machines and store bought machines actually cause more harm to your carpet than if you didn’t clean your carpet at all? These machines leave behind soap residue in your carpet that acts like a magnet to dirt. This is what causes rapid re-soiling.
Trust Steamaway Carpet Cleaning for Professional Services!
Whether you need a steam, clean, or repair in the Albuquerque and Rio Rancho areas, Steamaway Carpet Cleaning is here to answer how often carpets should be cleaned. Schedule a FREE consultation today!